Monday, April 13, 2015

Hello, world!

Hi, Internet! Welcome to my infinitesimal slice of cyberspace.

Story time: I escaped college with a Creative Writing degree worth less than the paper it’s printed on. (Note the fancy paper, gilded lettering, and tens of thousands of dollars in direct subsidized loans.) Armed with a command of the participial phrase, I’m out to spread culture to people who, like me, read crap on the Internet instead of doing anything productive. Because contributing to society is for doctors, engineers, and municipal solid waste workers.

School taught me one thing: I don't know jack. Finally, I can learn...
  • How to train for a marathon
  • How to make a retro video game
  • How to balance a budget
  • How to watch hundreds of hours of movies and blog about it FOR FREE
There are plenty of helpful guides on the internet. None of them are me.

Here, I’ll do things I’ve never done before, fail, and maybe learn something. You get to laugh at my suffering.

First target: movies. I’ve slurped on television’s glass teat since I could blink (and nod off). Twenty two years, and I’ve barely sucked the scum off the world’s most influential creative medium. Because there are way too many “best” movie lists: the Criterion Collection, the AFI Top 100, Roger Ebert’s. One problem—they’re chosen by experts, who know too much to know anything. Instead, I chose another list. YOURS, Internet denizens. The IMDb Top 250.

Over the next year, I’ll be reviewing one film per day, counting from 250 to 1, until 2016 rolls around or my eyeballs melt. The good, the great, the weird as shit, the boring as hell, all wrapped up in one biased package.

See you in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment